top of page

What is an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) and do you need one?

An eTA stands for an Electronic Travel Authorization and it is applied by anyone who is a citizen of a visa exempt country. You only need this if you are traveling to Canada by air. Think of it as a visa for foreign nationals of visa exempt countries such as Britain and Denmark but remember US citizens do not need an eTA to enter Canada by air.

An eTA must always be applied for before you buy your plane tickets otherwise you may not be allowed to board. Normally applying for an eTA takes a few minutes. And it takes a few days or even a day to process but if your eTA is taking longer then you must consult a professional.

An eTA may sound like a Visa but it is not. A visa is a stamp you get on your passport and the process is much more cumbersome. An eTA, on the other hand, is much easier to apply for and can be done within minutes. If your eTA is taking too long or if immigration needs more information from you then you will receive an email within 72 hours to let you know of the next steps.

You consult a professional if:

  • You have been convicted of a criminal offence

  • You have been accused of a criminal offence

  • You are unsure if you need an eTA or a visitor visa (TRV)

  • Your eTA has been denied

  • Your eTA application is taking too long and you haven’t received an email confirmation

  • You don’t know how to apply for an eTA

  • You need more info on an eTA

Getting professional help is always recommended. Olympia Immigration has assisted many clients with different immigration matters from Temporary to Permanent applications. Contact us for more information on how to apply for an eTA or any other immigration related application. For more details call 647-325-2905. Our immigration experts have submitted many successful immigration applications and we can help you achieve your immigration goals as well.

Your success is our business!


bottom of page